Preservation of Cozumel's beaches, coastline and reefs is the responsibility of SEMARNAP, the Marine Park Authority. They are assisted by the Port Captain and the Mexican Navy.
In order to protect and conserve our precious marine life, the following regulations should be strictly adhered to by all boats, divers, and fishermen.
It IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED:
- To stand on, or take hold of the coral reefs
- To fish for, to collect, to disturb or to keep any marine life organism found in the Park (fishes, corals, shells, starfish, etc.)
- To carry spears, hooks, harpoons or explosives
- To carry gloves or knives (Dive Masters and Instructors may register these items for use with the Marine Park).
- To disturb or to remove fauna and flora from their refuge.
- To feed any fish or animals in the Marine Park
- To dispose of any kind of solid waste in the ocean.
- To dump fuel, grease, oil, or any other liquid substances into the ocean
- To use sun block or suntan oils which are not biodegradable.
Dive guides are authorized to enforce these rules. Your courtesy in carefully following these rules ensures that our precious reefs, living organisms in their own right, will enjoy long and healthy lives. For your support and help, the people of Cozumel thank you.